Sunday, June 7, 2009

Tango en la Costa Milonga 7 June 2009

A turning point for Alex and I.
To make up the numbers we entered the Qld Tango championships qualifying rounds to compete in Sydney. Really, just a favour for our teachers, Sandra and Ross, to make the competition more interesting for the spectators. A little stressful, as the judges were Fabrizio Forti and Celi Arias. Beautiful dancers from Argentina who have been here for a week teaching workshops.
The first tango had a very steady beat. Alex carefully led me into a simple walk with perfect technique. I knew it was important that we both relax. I knew it was important that our walking technique was spot on. I think our walk is one of our best features.
The second tango was little faster in tempo and Alex easily led otcho contadas and milenguro turns and I worked hard to decorate as much as I could. The third tango had several tempo changes and I could feel Alex working very hard on his musicality.
At the end we both looked at each other in amazement. We had just danced three songs in silence, without stopping to analyise or discuss or tiff with each other. After dancing seriously for 12 months, I think it was a turning point.
We placed 2nd. A little boost in confidence before we travel to Argentina in 19 days.

4 comments:

  1. Great blog Heather. I'm so excited I'll now have an opportunity to learn more about your tango experiences. I know it's become such an important part of yours and Alex's lives, so it's a privilege to be able to share that in some small way. (And, may I say, this is a very well written post, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo dear friend. You guys are amazing! xo Trish

    PS Does that mean you have to go to Sydney to the final as you said you didn't want to do that??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Heather, that's so cool!!! And what a great idea for a blog! Looking forward to reading more :D
    XXX Bec

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Heather and Alex - I never knew feet could be so damn sexy! Best of luck!
    Jewels xo

    ReplyDelete